Join Cap City Collective and the Columbus cyclocross community for another year of cyclocross practices! This year the practices will remain at Cap City Collective's home base, Big Run Park's Derby Hill. This practice is appropriate for riders of all levels, from "I've never ridden a bike on the dirt before" to "I podium at Cincy2."
- Helmets and a functional bike (Cyclocross or MTB) are required.
- Water & food are not available on site, so please come prepared.
- Gloves and glasses are recommended.
The venue will be open from 5pm until dark, with organized instruction beginning at 6pm. The series runs every Tuesday evening starting the first Tuesday in August until the last Tuesday in October.
Tentative Practice schedule:
- Week 1 - Barriers & Introduction to Cyclocross
- Week 2 - Cornering & Starts
- Week 3 - Climbing & Off Cambers
- Week 4-13 will begin the mock races.
- We will have a short course arranged with flags or tape to simulate situations you will encounter in real races.
- A, B, & C groups will each have 2-3 chances to race throughout the night.
- New or inexperienced riders will be able to participate in breakout sessions to work on specific skills independent of the racing.
About The Donations & Cost
In the past cyclocross practices in Columbus have been free. These practices were uninsured and not permitted. To use Big Run Park and to take advantage of the insurance provided by USA Cycling Cap City Collective is required to cover the fees associated with the USA Cycling Permit, the City of Columbus park permit, and a per-rider insurance fee. Your donations will go directly to covering these costs. Any profits will be directly contributed to future off-road development programming through Cap City Collective. A $55 donation will cover the per-rider insurance fees for one rider and a portion of the permitting fees for the event. You are encouraged to donate more than $55 to cover other riders or future programming.
2017 Columbus Cyclocross Practice Series
USA Cycling Permit # 2017-2385